To Use Essential Oils©
for a cleaner, sweet-smelling life
by Jeanne Rose
Aromatherapy for The Aromatic Plant Project
For Scent-Sational wash, place a few drops of your favorite EO
onto a small piece of terry cloth and toss into the clothes dryer while
drying. Alternatively, add 5 drops of EO to 1/4-cup fabric softener or
water and place in the center cup of the wash
2. Revive potpourri by adding a few
drops of EO.
3. Freshen air by adding a few drops
of EO to water in a spray bottle and spray.
4. Add a few drops of EO to a pan of
water and simmer on a stove or in a potpourri pot.
5. For a scented candle, place a drop
or two of EO into the hot wax as the candle burns.
6. Eliminate household cooking odors,
add a few drops of Clove oil to a simmering pan of water.
7. For tired, aching muscles or
arthritis, mix 1-drop Cajuput, Sage, and Basil oil to 30 drops vegetable
oil and use as a massage oil.
8. Ease headache pain by rubbing a
drop of Rosemary/ Lavender oil onto the back of your neck.
9. Blend your own massage oil by
adding 3 drops of your favorite EO to 1 oz. Jojoba or other
skin-nourishing vegetable oil.
10. For fresher smelling carpets, add
10 drops of EO to a box of cornstarch or baking soda, mix well, let set
for a day or two and then sprinkle over the carpets in your home. Let set
for an hour or more, than vacuum.
11. To make a natural flea collar,
saturate a short piece of cord or soft rope with Pennyroyal or Tea Tree
oil, roll up in a handkerchief and tie loosely around the animal's neck.
12. Smelly feet or shoes can be
remedied by either dropping a few drops of Geranium EO directly into the
shoes or by placing a cotton ball dabbed with a few drops of Lemon oil
into the shoes. Athlete's foot? Tea tree oil is great.
13. Household odors? Put a few drops
of your favorite EO on a cotton ball and place in your vacuum cleaner bag.
Lemon and Pine are nice; Rose Geranium helps with doggy odor.
14. To fragrance your kitchen cabinets
and drawers, place a food scent EO dabbed on a cotton ball in an
15. Are mice a problem? Place several
drops of Peppermint oil on cotton balls and place them in problem
16. Scent the bathroom by placing
oil-scented cotton balls in inconspicuous places or sprinkle oils directly
onto silk or dried flower arrangements or wreaths.
17. To promote healing, apply 1 or 2
drops true Lavender oil and Tea Tree oil directly to cuts, scrapes or
18. Homemade soaps are pleasant and
offer therapeutic effects when scented with EOs. Use Spirit Soaps that
contain pure aromatics.
19. Home-made sachets are more
fragrant when EOs is blended with the flowers and herbs.
20. Scent an entire room, set a
calming or uplifting mood. Use a drop of EO on a radiator, scent ring, or
light bulb. Do not put EO in the socket.
21. For "scentual" hand
washables, use a few drops of your favorite EO or blend in the final rinse
22. Anise oil has been used by anglers
for years to cover up the human scent that scares the fish away. Use a
drop or two on the fingertips and hands before baiting up.
23. Create your own personal essence!
EOs and blends make wonderful perfumes. Add 25 drops to 1 oz. perfume
alcohol. Let age two weeks before using.
24. To dispel mosquitoes and other
picnic or Bar-B-Q pests, drop a few drops of Citronella OR Eucalyptus
citriodora oil in the melted wax of a candle or place a few drops on the
Bar-B-Q's hot coals.
25. Eliminate a troublesome wart by
directly applying 1 drop of Lemon or Moroccan Blue Artemis EO to it. Apply
daily until the wart is gone.
26. Rosemary and Basil promote
alertness and stimulate memory. Inhale occasionally during long car trips
and while reading or studying.
27. Selling your home? Fragrance
sells! Fill the kitchen with the aroma of spices, such as Clove, Cinnamon
and Vanilla by simmering a few drops of Cinnamon or Nutmeg EO. Create a
warm, cheerful, inviting mood by sprinkling Geranium oil throughout your
home. Add Cinnamon or Lemon oil to furniture polish and wipe down the
28. Create a lovely, aromatic art
piece by adding EOs to papier-mâché.
29. Infuse bookmarks and stationary
with EOs. Use a few drops on paper, place in a sealed plastic bag &
leave overnight to infuse the aroma. Send only good news on the perfumed
30. To make gifts such as neck pillows
or padded and decorative hangers more memorable put a couple of drops of
EO on them before giving them as gifts.
31. Overindulge last night? EOs of
Juniper, Fennel, Cedarwood, Grapefruit, Lavender, Rosemary and Lemon help
soften the effects of a hangover. Make your own blend of these oils and
use a total of 6-8 drops in a bath.
32. For a wonderfully scented wood
fire, use EOs of Vetivert, Cypress, Atlas Cedarwood, Frankincense and
Myrrh. Drop approximately 2-3 drops of oil or blend of your choice on a
dried log and allow time for the oil to soak in before putting the log on
33. Flies and moths dislike Lavandin
oil. Sprinkle in on the outside of your window frames.
34. For restful sleep, place 1 or 2
drops of sleep enhancing oils, such as Chamomile, Lavender, Neroli,
Marjoram or Hops on your pillow before retiring.
35. When moving to a new home, first
use a water spray containing your favorite EO and change the odorous
environment to your own. Do this for several days until it begins to feel
like your own space.
36. Ideal scents for the bedroom are
Roman Chamomile, Geranium, Lavender or Lemon.
37. Make your own copper polish. Add 1
drop of Lemon EO to a soft cloth and gently buff.
38. When washing out the fridge,
freezer or oven, add 1 drop of Lemon, Lime, Grapefruit, Bergamot, Mandarin
or Orange EO to the final rinse water.
39. For burns or scalds, drop Tea Tree
oil directly onto the affected area.
40. To aid digestion and relieve an
upset stomach - place 1 drop of Peppermint oil in 1/2 glass of water and
41. To relieve teething pain in
children, use 1-drop Chamomile oil on a washcloth wrapped ice cube.
42. To cool the body in summer and
protect it in the winter, add 6-8 drops of Eucalyptus oil in the bath
43. To bring out a radiant glow in
your skin, add 1 drop Geranium oil to your facial moisturizer.
44. For thicker hair, or to promote
growth, place 1 or 2 drops of Rosemary on your hair brush before brushing.
45. When flu is going around add a few
drops of Thyme to your diffuser or simmer in a pan on the stove.
46. To bring fever down, sponge the
body with cool water to which 1 drop each Eucalyptus, Peppermint and
Lavender oils have been added.
47. Create a better work environment.
Lavender creates a calm, tranquil atmosphere while Grapefruit stimulates
the senses and clears up stale air.
48. Alleviate anxiety and depression.
Blend Geranium, Lavender & Bergamot, and use in a diffuser or add 6-8
drops of this blend to the bath.
49. A wonderful massage blend for
babies is one drop Roman Chamomile, 1 drop Lavender, 1 drop Geranium
diluted in 2 Tablespoons Sweet Almond Oil.
50. Headaches? Rub the back of the
neck with 1-drop Peppermint oil diluted in 1-teaspoon vegetable oil.
51. Perfume! Make a blend of 20 drops
Neroli + 10 drops Lemon + 5 drops of Patchouli. Umm, yum. Age for 2 weeks;
add an equal amount of high-proof alcohol. Age again and use.
JEANNE ROSE - 219 Carl St., San
Francisco, CA 94117 firstname.lastname@example.org.
PH 415/564-6785; fax 415/564-6799.
Web site: www.jeannerose.net
Rights Reserved 2003, 2004. No part of this article may be used
without prior permission from The Aromatic Plant Project.
©Author's Copyright and Jeanne Rose, email@example.com